Friday, February 25, 2011

Sourdough Nutella Ring...

1st attempt: Well, its not pretty but it tastes pretty good.


I love to cook and bake and create with food.  I also love learning about food and learning new ways to make things healthier for my family.  I was introduced to GNOWFLIGNS.com by a friend of mine who shares the same interests as I do in the category of healthy foods.  While it is not new ideas on food it certainly is interesting.  I love knowing that these methods have been used to prepare food since before Jesus walked the earth! Sourdough is one of the eCourses that they teach on the site and I have thoroughly enjoyed learning all the eCourse has to offer.  One of my favorite sourdough recipes that they teach about is called Bucket Bread or No-knead dough or 5 min artisan bread.  You essentially make a bucket of bread dough and then you can make what ever you want with it.  I ran across a recipe for Artisan Nutella Ring in the Cooking Club of America Magazine and thought it would be perfectly adaptable to the GNOWFLIGNS way of doing Bucket Bread.  My Grandmother loves Nutella and since she is visiting I thought I would make her a special breakfast treat.  My 1st attempt (seen above) is not what I served my Grandmother but an attempt to see if it would indeed taste as good as it sounds.  For some reason, though,  my dough did not rise as well as it should have.  I also wasn't thinking and used butter instead of egg to brown the top so I have a layer of butter topped with a layer of egg which is topped with a layer of sugar.  Over all it tastes pretty good (if I hadn't ran out of Whole Wheat Pastry flour and had to substitute Spelt I am sure it would have an even better uniform taste.)  I plan to try it again as I have plenty of dough.  I just put a loaf of dough out to rise so we will see how well it does and if it doesn't rise then I will need to figure out what I need to do to get it to rise, either start over or possibly add more Sourdough Starter.  Time will only tell!
My youngest, not only disregarding my request to get off the table but enjoying the Nutella Ring.

Ill see if I can create a recipe section and ad the Nutella Ring recipe.  For the bucket bread at its highest health properties please check out GNOWFLIGNS.com eCourse on Sourdough.  I doubt you will be disappointed!  Happy Hobbying.

No comments:

Post a Comment